A lot has been written about the different instruments we play, the hardware, effects, and even software. Most musicians read these articles like they did as a kid with the Christmas edition of the Sears catalog. And it’s easy to waste an entire evening reading about the merits of tube amps versus digital modeling.
However, very little is ever written about the tried and true accessories that we musicians use every day. The little things that make the gig go just a little easier. As a gigging musician for over 40+ years, Ive found a few that I just won’t live without. Here are the Top 10 guitar accessories that are in my everyday arsenal, and I recommend all the time. I’ll bet you have one or two of them in your gig bag.
In no particular order:
1: Rock-N-Roller Multi Cart
Hauling gear can be a royal pain. Especially when it takes several trips back and forth to your vehicle. And hauling heavy amps or speakers can ruin your night if you’re not careful.
The Rock-N-Roller Cart doesn’t break any new ground in the hauling universe. However, it is extremely versatile and light weight. It also folds away easily and can be quickly changed into a variety of different usable configurations and will support up to 350lbs.
- Instantly transform into 8 different shapes replacing 8 different cart types
- Huge load capacity but folds small for storage
- Lightweight with rugged steel frame
- No removable pins to lose
- Caster brakes assist loading on inclines
- Tough, eco-friendly textured powdercoat finish
- Non-skid frame bed surface resists load slippage
- Expandable frame adjusts to load size and shape
- Foldable sides rotate & lock into place via release cables
- R-Trac wheels feature pneumatic-like ride, light weight, low rolling resistance and no air loss
- Stairclimbers ease loads over stairs and curbs
- An accessory to haul your other accessories
Whether you’re a DJ, a drummer, photographer, sound engineer, roadie, handyman, tradesman, or just have a bunch of stuff to move from A-to-B, Rock-n-Roller is the way to get it all moved in ONE TRIP! This alone makes it one of my Top 10 guitar accessories of all times.
Let’s face it. Most of us don’t warm up vocally like we should. Not to mention working in smoky bars and drinking alcohol as part of the job description doesn’t help either. Thats why I also have a bottle of Vocal Eze in my gig bag. A couple of squirts before we go on and it lubricates and soothes my throat.
The all-herbal spray contains no preservatives and is one of the only sprays that actually doesn’t taste horrible. Vocal Eze is great for recovering from vocal strain and overuse, and it can even prevent damage to your voice from occurring in the first place. Developed in cooperation with Sony Music Nashville artists at the CMA Awards, Green Peak Wellness Vocal Eze throat spray is endorsed by Rob Thomas, Joss Stone, and Tim McGraw, among others.
When You Need It Most, Have Your Best Voice Ready In Seconds!
3: On-Stage Mic Stand For Pedal Boards
Theres nothing worse than trying to get your mic stand to play nicely with your pedalboard. The GPA1003 is a compact, streamlined and visually appealing approach to deploying an array of electronic instruments and accessories. It has a super-stable, eight pound cast iron base with six rubber feet that slides conveniently underneath almost any pedal board. The rocker mic shaft itself comes complete with an oversized, knurled lock washer for precise, secure microphone placement, all metal external parts and black powder-coated finish.
It even has two additional M20 screw portals to accommodate everything from additional mic stands to guitar hangers, making it a uniquely efficient and aesthetically flattering performance station.
- Easily slides under most pedal boards
- Three M20 holes allow for modular setup of mic stands, guitar hangers
- Includes upper rocker microphone shaft
- Oversized knurled Washer for precise mic positioning
- 8 lb. Cast-iron base with (3) M20 threading positions and six rubber feet for stability
4: AirTurn BT200S-2 Bluetooth Pedal
This little footpedal is perfect to control any bluetooth devices from tablets, computers, smartphones, DAWs, Stage lighting etc. It’s also compatible with dozens of apps and has an internal rechargeable battery.
- Read music, scroll lyrics and tabs
- Customize DAW and MIDI control
- Trigger backing tracks and effects
- Cue audio and lighting
- Advance slides for presentations
- Capture video, photo, and more!
- At 150+ feet, we lead the industry with maximum operating range.
- Unlike metal cases, our polymer design doesn’t interfere with the radio signal and can still withstand the weight of a truck!
- A rechargeable battery provides 150-200 hours of play time with a single charge, you can even use a 9v power supply.
- The BT200S works with devices that have Bluetooth 4 or higher. Windows computers must have latest MIDI over Bluetooth features to support MIDI connection. (Early model iPads will not work.)
- Quiet operation steel switches deliver a fast and reliable response.
- Bluetooth status LED. Low battery status LED.
- Power Saving – Automatically turns off when the host tablet or computer is turned off.
- Anti-skid control on the base for stage floors.
5: Gator Dual Guitar Gig Bag
The Gator Cases Pro go Series Acoustic and electric guitar dual gig-bag is the perfect choice for top of the line gig-bag protection at an affordable price and comes with a lot of features.
- Dual Compartments to Hold an Acoustic and Electric Guitar
- Ultra Thick Padded Sidewalls
- Luxurious Micro-Fleece Lined Interior
- Internal Dims (acoustic compartment):Body Length 22”, Body Height 5.5” Lower Bout Width 16” Middle Bout Width 12” Upper Bout Width 13” and Overall Length 41.5”
- Internal Dims: (electric compartment) Body Length 19.5”, Body Height 2.5” Lower Bout Width 14.75” Middle Bout Width 12.75” Upper Bout Width 12.5” and Overall Length 41.5”
6: Oversized Aluminum Pedal Buttons
Many of us have been cursed with feet that resemble skis. This can make hitting that pedal button at the crucial moment a crap shoot. Luckily, these oversized buttons are available and fit nicely over top your existing ones giving you a better target and also more comfortable for you barefoot players. Don’t skimp and get the plastic ones that break. Get the aluminum ones.
- Suitable for guitar effect pedal; can be used as riser for hard to reach pedals switches.
- Provide full protection for your pedal’s foot switch, extending its using life.
- Enlarges footswitch diameter for easier accessibility.
- Comes with screws and wrench, easy to use, multiple colors.
7: Fresh Balls
OK so probably only for the MALE musicians, this product is essential for any touring, festival, outdoor……hell, ANY situation. You know you need it.
- Step away from the messy powders! Fresh Balls is specially designed to deal specifically with the uncomfortable and unhygienic problems that moisture and bacteria can cause in those “man-regions” – in an all-natural and clump-free way!
- Our lotion is a quick-drying talc-less formula that dries to a silky-smooth powder to keep you and your best parts moisture-free. And, unlike most deodorants and powders, our natural formula is free of all aluminum, parabens, and talc – just as nature intended.
- And, unlike most deodorants and powders, our natural formula is free of all aluminum, parabens, and talc – just as nature intended. Welcome to The New Science of Dry.
- More than a Top 10 Guitar Accessory, its a Top 10 necessity.
8: Foldable Guitar Stand
Perfect for the solo or open mic player, or the weekend warrior thats looking for an easily storable solution to the tired old telescoping stands. Fold it up, slide it in your gig bag and go!
- Arms length adjustable from 3.1” to 5.1” (8 to 12.9 cm) to fit all sizes of acoustic, classical, electric and bass guitars
- Made of ABS plastic, lightweight yet solid
- Silicon cushion covered all the contacting surfaces to protect your instrument, anti-slipping rubber cap on feet for ultimate stability
- Very compact, fit in your guitar bag front pocket
- Three-step operation to open or fold, easy to use
9: The String Cleaner by ToneGear
The String Cleaner by Tone Gear extends the life and preserves the tone of guitar strings. It removes harmful substances like sweat and oils, and keeps strings strong. A perfect guitar accessory stocking stuffer.
- Extends The Life And Preserves The Tone Of Guitar Strings
- Revolutionary Design Provides Unprecedented 360 Degree String Cleaning Action
- Cleanable Microfiber Pads For Long Term Low Maintenance Use
- No Solution Necessary
- Revitalizes Used, Old, And Damaged Strings
10: Cable & Accessories Organizer Gig Bag
If you are a regularly gigging musician, or just like everything in it’s place, this bag is perfect for organizing and keeping all your guitar accessories in one place.
This is a gig bag for cables and other accessories to help organize and carry all your small bits and pieces. Keeps your cables from tangling and makes them easy to locate.
- Sturdy PVC lined nylon, Strong zippers, High density medium padding, Rigid fiberboard bottom, Strong webbed handles, Padded shoulder strap
- CFB-02 – 24″ (length) x 12″ (depth) x 10″ (height) internal dimensions
- 3 exterior DOUBLE pockets – 2 – (10.5″ x 7.5″ x 1.75″) and 1 – (20″ x 8.5″ x 1.75″)
- 10 – 1″ slots, 4 – 2″ slots, 1 – 3″ slot
- Weighs approximately 18 lbs when full (with cables and light accessories)
Share this article:
The following was originally written in 2000—a year after the actual event. It was first penned as a series of e-mails to a friend, and
Ahhh, it finally feels like Fall. The leaves are changing colors, there’s a crisp in the air, and plenty of scary movies on television. It’s
2020 has hit the entertainment world hard. With the Covid-19 pandemic affecting everyone on the planet, people have been mostly relegated to staying home since
“Fuck!” exclaimed Lance Alot, singer of mediocre local bar band Dangling Duty. “I know I shared this event with at least a dozen Facebook Groups!
A huge part of our goal at Cover Band Central is to inspire the next generation of musicians. It’s a fact that within the next